Troupe 1096 Returns to Denver Stage

Ana Koshevoy, Assistant Web Editor

On December 5, 27 upperclassmen students from Troupe 1096 traveled to Denver, Colorado to attend the Colorado Thespian Convention (Thescon). The weekend consisted of workshops, scholarship auditions, shows, and competitions. Actors performed songs or monologues and technicians presented designs in an effort to score an “Accomplished” , a 90% or above, to qualify for the National Thespian Festival in June 2016.

“Thescon is a great preparation for theatre conferences students might go to at college or university- it’s a type of environment that is unlike any other: not like auditions or anything- but it teaches people how to deal with pressure”, said assistant theatre director Erin O’Connor.

Each student had a scheduled session to attend where they would present and watch other thespians do what they love. They received feedback from judges by email immediately, and based off of their gradings the students were able to see what they did well and what they could improve on. Sixteen students received “Accomplished” scores, five more than the number of students that qualified the previous year.

“I couldn’t believe that we had done so well. As soon as I read our comments I really felt, for the first time, like we had done our scene justice […] Also, the fact that 16 out of 30 students qualified for Nationals is amazing! I knew we had a lot of talent in Troupe 1096, but it was cool to hear it from judges that don’t know us personally,” said Jr. Rebekah Fowler.

Seniors were able to audition for scholarships from colleges and universities at the convention. They were only allowed a couple minutes to present their work to a room full of college representatives, who would later contact them if they were impressed by the student’s presentation. Several large scholarships were awarded to the best in each category (Female performance, male performance, and technical theatre), where Sr. Mia Irwin won the $1000 technical theatre scholarship to any school of her choice.

” It was fantastic to win the scholarship because people really appreciated and understood my art, and I got to follow in the footsteps of one of my biggest inspirations, Elise Christensen, which made it even better,” said Sr. Mia Irwin.

While the thespians dealt with a lot of stress and competition, the three- day trip was a great way for the students to become closer and enjoy their time in an environment where

everyone had the same passion. From intensive workshops taught by professionals, and two mainstage plays performed by fellow Colorado high schools, the students were surrounded by theatre.

“Thescon was a great experience for me because I got to show my passion for stage managing in a place where everyone appreciates what I love, while spending time with some of my closest friends,” said Sr. Animas High School student Bryce Ward.