Crippled kids roam halls

Clare Carroll, Health Editor

High school students are used to the occasional bumps and bruises, sprained ankles and pulled groins, but this year at DHS there has been an influx of severe injuries which have either required surgery or long periods of rest. Most students are unaware of what an ordeal having a major injury is. Most people are cognizant of the initial pain or agony that comes with a severe injury, but many are unaware of the pain and nuisance of an injury after the initial damage is done.

Getting injured is no fun, but with extreme injuries, surgery is often necessary, and may be more painful than the injury itself. After surgery, life must go on, especially during the school year.

Sophomore Maura Morrissey had an interesting injury that only occurs in teenagers between 13 and 16 years. Morrissey had a small bone under her kneecap that wasn’t fully grown, and wasn’t completely fused to the bone under it. When she was training for soccer she strained a tendon in her knee and instead of just pulling, it ripped that small piece of bone off her shin.

Morrissey said, “I had to have surgery and I was put in a leg brace for half the summer and part of the school year. To be honest it kinda sucked, I was a new freshie in the school with a leg brace and crutches that were decked out with duct tape”.

People aren’t as kind as one would think in the halls of the high school, people are rushing around with little to no awareness or sympathy for those with a crippled leg.

“I got a lot of stares, like a lot. People just kind of stared at me and moved out of the way. Some people were really nice and would ask if I needed help with anything or help me with my books, and some people would be kind of mean and walk super close behind me or rush past me in the hall and bump my crutches,” said Sr. Katie Milliet.

Milliet dislocated her kneecap and dislodged a piece of cartilage attached to bone, which needed to be reattached.         

Another thing that isn’t generally considered when people get surgery is the horror of crutches, they’re a lot of fun to play around with, but when they’re in constant use crutches are more of a torture device than an aide.

Senior Maddie Robertson has osteochondritis, which resulted from long term use due to volleyball and skiing.

Robertson said, “‘I’ve received a lot of support from people, but it’s hard being pitied so much and being “the cripple”. Crutches are impossible, I’m more used to them now, but initially it was really hard and my arms would get super tired.”

Many in Durango High School students are physically active, and not being active can take a toll on the mental state of students.  Junior Cole Johnson tore his ACL, a common injury for soccer players.

Johnson said, “My recover time was six months. Not playing soccer was a life changing event for me. Not participating in something I love and just observing it from a distance was extremely humbling. I definitely learned a lot about patience and self control.”

A major injury is something that no one should have to deal with, especially high school students, who are some of the busiest people. High school students don’t have time in their schedules for injuries, yet with a little blood, sweat and tears, they are able to make it through.