Force Awakens Star Wars fans with third trilogy premiere

Jack Eggleston, Reporter

Star Wars is an iconic American entertainment series centered around six films made from 1977 to 2005. It is composed of three original films (1977-1983) and three sequels (1999-2005).

Sophomore Luke Meyer, a long time fan of the franchise, has mixed feelings about the most recent trilogy.

“When I watch the prequels, I always think about what they should’ve added and taken out,” said Meyer.

The newer films exposed mixed opinions from many critics and fans, both in and out of Durango.

“The dialogue was pretty awful. These days, I can only enjoy the old movies,” said Meyer.

Star Wars is one of the most lucrative franchises in the world, due not only to the movies, but also to the comics, television series, video games and books that make up the Star Wars extended universe.

Junior Ethan Casselberry is excited for the release of Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens.

“I can’t wait for December 18th to finally come. I hope it’s the best movie yet,” said Casselberry.

The release of this movie alone is estimated to make over 1 billion dollars worldwide. The film portion of the franchise has combined for a total box office revenue of over 4 billion dollars, while the entire franchise is worth almost 31 billion dollars.

Animas High School So. Grace Frideger has different opinions about Star Wars than most.

“Honestly, I think that Star Wars is cheesy and childish,” said Frideger. “But I know that I’m the weird  one because everybody seems to love it.”

Those types of reviews were not uncommon discussing the three prequels. Many, like Frideger, were disappointed in the outcome of the newer films.

The Star Wars movies have seen 25 Academy Award nominations come their way, ten of which they won. Yet, the prequel trilogy did not win any of the ten.

Another profitable branch of the franchise are the attractions at Disney theme parks around the world. In 1987, the first Star Tours ride was opened at Disneyland, and the second at Hollywood Studios.

These rides were closed in 2010 to allow for the building of Star Tours-The Adventures Continue. The successor attractions were opened in 2011 and 2012.

Star Wars has created a huge impact on American pop culture as many parodies have been made in many different varieties. For example, Spaceballs, a 1987 film, and The Saga Begins, a 1999 musical track recorded by Weird Al Yankovic are both spin offs of Star Wars themes and events.

“I know of countless Star Wars themed concepts outside of the movies,” said Frideger.

The Star Wars franchise has become one of the most well known movie series, as well as brands in the world.     

The 31 billion dollar monstrosity is one of the longest lasting franchises ever, with plans to make movies over 30 years after it’s original release.