420: Medical Marijuana Issues

Sophia Kincaid, Reporter

In 2012 nearly 1.3 million Colorado citizens voted in favor of recreational marijuana, with the promise that $40 million dollars would fund public schooling, as written in Amendment 64 which is the law that recognizes the use and regulation of marijuana. University of Colorado Futures Center determined that this year’s funding will be about half of the $40 million dollar goal.

This year the number of medical marijuana patients rose from 113,453 to 114,290 in Colorado. However, there was a huge tax refund last year of nearly $60 million due to the Taxpayer’s Bill of Rights, a measure created by conservative and libertarian groups that seeks to limit the growth of government and to police the actions of the Internal Revenue Service.

Because the state underestimated the sales that marijuana would earn, and since they predicted that Colorado would only earn $40 million in taxes, they had to give the rest back to taxpayers and pot growers.

Many think that this is a very good and very exciting thing but it raises the question what changes have Colorado public schools undergone, because they seem just as poor as ever.

A 15 percent excise tax is all that is supporting our schools out of all the taxes that are paid for by recreational marijuana and the rest of the earned taxes are spent by Colorado Senators for causes they deem more important, sometimes to serve their own interests.

potNational statistics showed an increase in marijuana related crime for high school seniors from 19.4 percent in 2008 to 40 percent this year.

One of the biggest arguments to campaign legalizing marijuana was that there would be funding for schools, additional drug education, and that even crime rates would drop but this has been proven invalid.

While being interviewed on CNN on the issue Hillary Clinton “We (are) experimenting with (legalization of Recreational marijuana) in Colorado  right now. I want to wait and see what the evidence is.”

If indeed Colorado is an experiment, that means that the government is experimenting with real people as test subjects, which means that the economy, the schools, and the whole community are at risk here so that America can “see what the real evidence is” as Clinton said.

What’s worse is that there have been more and more reports of young children accidentally overdosing on edibles and oils that they found in their home, although no child has died from marijuana consumption. There has been a huge increase in children taken to the ER because of this kind of incident between Oct. 2009 and Dec. 2011 only 15 children were rushed to the hospital for marijuana exposure and seven from edible marijuana. The unintended victims of legalized recreational marijuana are apparently far younger than the legal age to purchase it.