SLC Stereotypes: Fact or Fiction?

Stella Walsh, Reporter

The Small Learning Communities (SLCs) of Durango High School have acquired countless reputations and stereotypes due to the natural and normal ideas of opposing teams and friend groups. Stereotypes and labels occur in nearly every aspect among adolescents. Student spread around ideas of other groups or cliques whether they realize it or not.

Each SLC offers different areas of expertise, whether it’s a more creative and individualised way  in DaVinci, hands-on learning in Basecamp or international connections in Atlas. Students often come into DHS worried that they’re going to chose the wrong SLC, but it really depends on how you learn and what fosters the desire to stretch your learning.

“In complete honesty, the stereotypes of each SLC did play a role in my decision,” said Fr. Siena DiGiacomo of Atlas.

Countless factors play into the decision for students as to which SLC should guide them for the next two years of high school.

“Although I don’t attend DHS, the rumors and stereotypes of each SLC stick out. It clearly doesn’t affect me since I go to Animas but they are there,” said Jr. Reed Frey of Animas High School.

The preconceived ideas regarding who chooses what are big enough to be considered with decision making. Clearly, stereotypes and rumors are unavoidable and occur everywhere, in every topic, not just with the SLC’s of DHS.

“No one is rude or discriminative of who chose what. And if they do have fixed mindsets like that, that is their problem and it prohibits them from branching out and meeting new people,” said So. Micah Hwang, who switched from Da Vinci to Atlas this year.

A good amount of the interactions start with the approach taken. Learning to have open eyes and unbiased mindsets will set the tone for how everyone connects.

“The SLC that I was in really helped prepare me for junior year. I know how to manage my time well and help myself out thanks to the additional areas of Basecamp,” said Jr. Mikayla Neidlinger.

Despite the stereotypes and rumors, the true goal for the SLCs of DHS is to assist students and provide them with the skills to succeed. Each SLC aims to prepare students for the tougher years, and provides more than just an education. Time management skills, decision making and establishing how to help yourself are some of the greatest skills that each SLC teaches.

“There are a lot of brilliant people in each SLC. It just depends on how each student learns and in which way they succeed,” said So. Joe Lawton of Atlas, who switched from Animas to DHS this school year.

It’s important to block out rumors and generalizations, because in reality, there is a little bit of everything in each SLC. Once students get a bit of experience in each SLC, they will realize that the rumors in fact, are only rumors. Once you can get past that, you can accept the people in each SLC for who they are and what they enjoy, not the stereotypes hanging over their heads.