Local Authors Write About Living in Durango

Cristina Jantz , Reporter

The image of an author usually consists of people spending their time in their offices or homes, staring at a computer screen and typing furiously, or hunched over a notepad and scribbling down their thoughts. However, the people who imagine this often don’t think of the authors in Durango.

“Local authors bring a sense of connection and a similar perspective that is easy to connect to,” said Sr. Bailey Kord.

Durango has a multitude of local authors. They are most often seen at book events in Maria’s Bookshop. Book signings occur fairly often, which is no surprise because there are so many local authors who are willing to make those happen. Local authors are part of what makes Durango, Durango. It’s part of what makes any town or city unique.

“[Local authors have] given us an alternative to big-name authors, and puts a local lens on things,” said So. Emma Vogel.

Authors in Durango who make a living on writing are not only adults. Some of these authors can be found at DHS, and their work is just as important as the wide range of stories, essays, and articles that are officially published. Many students have fallen in love with creative writing, and they are not afraid to admit that.

“I love writing and–even though I’m not published–I love people coming up to me and saying they love my books. It’s the best,” said Jr. Reagan Bennett.

Since local authors influence Durango so profoundly, what would happen if they suddenly stopped writing? Would Durango lose a part of itself? What would become of the citizens who live in such a literary-based place?

“I’m afraid few would notice, unfortunately. Beyond that, though, if local authors stopped authoring, the community would lose that sort of ‘thinking to yourself’ that local writers offer,” said local author Ken Wright.

DHS graduate Zeta Hay has a different view on what would happen if local authors decided to quit their much-needed jobs. She agrees with Wright on the seriousness of that possible situation.

“A large portion of who we are as people would vanish. What a local author is to some is a non-local author to others, so every author counts!” said Hay.

Although local authors can be known for fiction, there is a good deal of room for nonfiction authors too. English teacher Dan Garner explains how those types of authors can paint the most stunning picture of Durango possible.

“Non-fiction writers can add an incredible amount of detail and knowledge of history that would otherwise be lost. It can add or create a sense of enjoyment to our landscape,” said Garner.

So much is given to the community by way of allowing others to escape into written worlds. There would not be a Durango without the culture that is shaped by hard-working writers.

Clearly, local authors are here to stay.