Allergies Not So Swell for Student Style

Brooke Mazur , Reporter

Allergies are the product of a hypersensitive immune system, which identifies the allergen as a threat to the body and attacks it with more force than necessary. Many students have to deal with some hard to manage and in some cases life-threatening allergies.

”People have allergies to different things, beestings food allergies, things in the air, hay fever,” said Durango High School head nurse Adeline Bryant.“We’ve had to send students to the hospital for severe allergies, I think it was a peanut allergy. The girl didn’t know that the cookie she was eating had peanuts in it,” she said.

People with allergies have to be vigilant to anything they put in their bodies or around them.

Some allergies develop over time and can be hidden until a person is well into their teen or adult years.

“I was fourteen when I found out I was allergic to peanuts,” said Jr. Kenna Willis. “It was in the beginning phases so it wasn’t full throat closing at that point, it was just itchy eyes and runny nose, I had one of the Steamworks bowls of peanuts and it just happened. It was a slow-developed thing,” she said.

It can take as little as a single peanut in Willis’s case for her to react.

Allergic reactions can be very dangerous and can happen anywhere.

“My worst allergy attack was on an airplane, when I accidentally ate a peanut and my throat closed almost completely on the airplane,” said Sr. William Barney. In Barney’s case, he found out about his allergy early on in his life. “I was about six or seven, and some mom on our soccer team brought peanut butter cookies and I was just nommin’ away on them and couldn’t breath during practice,” he said.

Since Barney found out he was allergic to peanuts when he was young, he has had all his life to learn his body and what to do should he come in contact with peanuts.

People can be allergic to a lot of different things, stemming from plants to foods. For example: eggs, fish, milk, nuts, grain pollens, insect stings, molds, and pollens.

“About a year ago I got tested for allergies and coconut popped up.” Said Jr. Reagan Bennett. Being diagnosed with an allergy can make eating out very difficult and can lead to serious consequences. “I was at Starbucks one day and they didn’t tell me they put coconut in my drink. I was so excited and then all of a sudden my throat closed up and i had rashes everywhere,” she said.

Allergies do not really affect school life, if a person takes their medication, watches what they eat and makes sure they know what to do should they have a reaction. Allergies can be difficult to handle but by avoiding the things they are allergic to and making sure to have medication that can dull the allergy, people can live normally.