Students Worst Nightmares and Types of Dreams

Jenna Beckley , Reporter

A third of our lives is spent sleeping and dreaming, some dreams are good, but unfortunately some are bad. Most people think little to nothing of their dreams, yet some dreams are worth sharing.

The average person has about three to five dreams per night, but some may have up to seven.  The dreams tend to last longer as the night progresses. During a full eight-hour night of sleep, two hours is spent dreaming, according to WebMD.

“I don’t have nightmares. Never before in my life have I had a nightmare. I always sleep really well,” said Jr Polish exchange student, Mateusz Sowinski.

Later Sowinski spoke about his best dream, where he lived in the United States and was a successful doctor who owns his dream car, a Range Rover Discovery Four.

“I had this dream because I know one day it will come true,” said Sowinski.

About 5-10% of adults have nightmares once a month or more frequently. Some people have nightmares after having a late-night snack, which can increase metabolism and signal the brain to be more active.

“There was a zombie virus going around the world and all my friends contracted it. I was the only one who didn’t turn into a zombie, so I had to kill all my friends to survive,” said So. Micah Hwang, speaking about his worst nightmare.

“I only dream about once a week,” said Fr. Joe Pope. “All my dreams are in color too, not black and white”.

Approximately 80 percent of all dreams are in color. Only a small percentage of people claim to only dream in black and white. In studies where dreamers have been awakened and asked to select colors from a chart that match those in their dreams, soft pastel colors are those most frequently chosen.

Additionally, lucid dreams are ones in which you are aware that you are dreaming even though you are still asleep. During this type of dream, you can often “direct” or control the content of the dream.

“I remember one instance in which I had a lucid dream. It was mysterious but nice, mostly because I could make up the outcome of my dream,” said community member Michele Watson.

“Repeated nightmares” are defined more specifically as a series of nightmares with a recurring theme. They tend to be more common in girls than boys, and they may continue into adulthood. Adult nightmares are often associated with outside stressors or exist alongside other mental disorders.

“I had this dream at least three times or more in my life. I was driving along the road, and somehow I drive off. I think to myself, ‘Okay I’m gone now.’ And that’s it,” said Spanish teacher Seydie Coronado.

“I was teepeeing my church, and all of a sudden the cops showed up. It was complete chaos. Then, I tried to run away but it felt like my feet were stuck in quicksand.” said Fr. Joe Pope.