Which DHS Sport Has the Hardest Conditioning?

Violet Witchel, Reporter

Anyone walking down the DHS halls can expect to see scores of physically fit teens adorned in activewear and Demon sports apparel. Durango, Colorado is one of the most physically fit towns in the United States and its high school students are no exception. A wide variety of sports are offered at the high school, all of which are physically challenging.

So the question arises, which of DHS’s many rigorous sports offers the toughest conditioning? After researching the conditioning and workout habits of DHS sports an analysis of their physical intensity was made.

Here is a definitive ranking of the physical intensity and level of conditioning for DHS sports

1. Cycling: Cyclists burn the most calories and have the some of the longest workouts. They can burn up to 800 calories per hour and they are very prone to injury from impact and repeated muscle strain.
  2. Swimming: Swimmers burn the second most calories at up to 700 per hour and have the same length workouts as cyclists. “Swimming is harder than running,” said Seamus Millett, a runner and swimmer. The most common injuries in swimming are from repeated muscle strain.
  3. Cross Country: Cross country requires an extreme physical commitment from their athletes. Athletes burn about 100-120 calories per mile. Coach Mac has them run up to 60 miles per week during peak training. This includes sprint workouts, hill repeats and supplemental abdominal workouts. However, repeated impact can cause muscle strains and shin splints. “Cross Country has more repetitive stress injuries,” said DHS sports trainer Kyle Montgomery.
  4. Soccer: Soccer has the most sprints and their athletes are some of the most physically fit.
  5. Football: Football has long workouts, but they are more focused around strength training and high intensity bursts,there is a large amount of standing around. “You’re constantly getting knocked down, it’s mentally and physically grueling,” said So. Joe Lawton.
  6. Track: Track has workouts similar to the intensity of cross country but they only workout at that level twice a week, however they do lift .
  7. Wrestling: Wrestling is the highest contact sport, but for their workouts they do not do very much cardio and there is a lot of strength and skill training.
  8. Basketball: They play basketball  as well as lifting and running
  9. Dance: Dancers have a fair amount of cardio and conditioning for their workouts, but they consist largely of dancing.
  10. Indoor Track: Coach Mac makes them shovel the track for workouts and they occasionally do “hall sprints” where they sprint up and down the halls.
  11. Volleyball: Volleyball players do their one lap around the track in addition to occasional workout days which consist of 30 minutes of calisthenics. But they do get credit for holding a squat position for the majority of practice.
  12. Lacrosse: When interviewed about the intensity of their conditioning lacrosse players laughed.
  13. Softball: See Baseball, but the girls run more.
  14. Baseball: Baseball players said that they do about 10 base sprints which amounts to almost 200 yards of running.
  15. Cheer: Running a lap around the track and 20 minutes of cardio doesn’t count.
  16. Tennis: Tennis players said they barely condition at all.
  17. Color Guard: For conditioning they march and do flag tosses…
  18. Golf: They ride a cart, the only reason they are above band is because they lift weights on occasion.
  19. Band: It’s debatable whether this is even a sport, although some instruments can be heavy.

The top three sports at Durango High School were Cycling, Swimming, and Cross Country respectively. They were widely regarded by students and athletes as the most physically intense as well as measuring up in time commitment and caloric burn.

However just because these sports were the most intense as far as training goes does not mean that they had the most attractive athletes. All of the top three sports were said to be lanky with very little body mass. There was also an honourable mention for the exceptional ghostly quality attained only by the swimmer’s unique training program, which consists of exercising indoors for two hours.

It was broadly accepted by most students that the soccer boys were the most attractive. Many cited their hair as a defining feature, in addition to their toned physique. Baseball boys, despite their apparent lack of conditioning, were also mentioned several times. Their uniforms inspired several raunchy comments. Lacrosse boys were said to be one of the three most attractive sports simply because of the “lifestyle they lead” said Sos. Meghan Watson and Ruby Epstein.