Softball Ready to Rebuild

Seth Marvin Vanderryn, Sports Editor

Although the Durango High School Softball team didn’t get as many wins as they would have liked, with a final record of 4-15 (2-8 SWL), they feel they have something to build on for next year. As is the case with most high school sports, development is the most important part of each year.

Junior Katrina Chandler said, “I think that we can definitely improve and all of us have that motivation to get better.”

Next year they will get back Chandler, fellow Jr. Rebekah Ford, and So. Joie Raybourn who led the team in batting average, runs, and hits. And with only three seniors lost, the Demons feel they really have something to build on for next year.

One of the three seniors lost is Danica Dudley, who was able to look back on the season in a good light, “I learned to not take any game or opportunity to practice for granted. Each day is a gift from God, a new opportunity to make something happen on the field. My coach also helped me learn to apply that off the field as well,” said Dudley.

The team experienced many ups and downs throughout the season but it ended on a high note as their last game of the season ended in a nail biting win against Montezuma-Cortez. The game ended after the regular seven innings at an even score of 5-5, so they went into extra innings. The Demons finally got the walk off hit in the bottom of the ninth and won the game 13-12.

For many of the team this was the highlight of the season, including Sr. Shilo Gillen, “Our last game of the season [was my favorite moment] when we beat Cortez by one point. And I had the game winning hit.”

Fellow Sr. Kelly Perry’s favorite moment came in the last game of the season as well, “[The highlight of the season] for me personally was hitting my first career home run against Cortez,” said Perry

For much of the season softball wasn’t the only focus though, “Leadership was definitely something that the coaches pushed the seniors to do. Overall team energy was something we were constantly working on,” said Dudley.

Dudley was one of the chosen captains as well as Perry.

“It was amazing to know that my teammates picked me to lead them because they had confidence in my ability to lead,” said Perry.

Led by coach Chelsea Rodriguez the young Demon softball team is looking forward to next year as they look to show their league that they are a force to be reckoned with.