Teenage Drivers

Teenage+Drivers

Maggie Wigton, Copy Editor

One of the biggest stepping stones in a teenager’s life is getting the freedom and responsibility that comes along with a driver’s license. However, the dangers and recklessness of young drivers can at times make the cost outway the benefits.

Most high schoolers at DHS tend to look at the bright side of driving. No longer having to be driven around by parents, being able to go where you want, when you want. There are lots of advantages.

“If I want to go somewhere I don’t have to ask my parents permission. I can also give my friends rides and have a say in the music. I feel like it’s another level in your life where you enter a more mature state and I like that about it” said Fr. Bekah Moenning.

While most reflect on the benefits of student driving, many look at the dangers of being an inexperienced driver. Many believe that raising the legal driving age would help prevent accidents.

“If the driving age were older like 18ish it keeps families closer and codependent longer instead of breaking them up for more hours if the day and causing more carbon emissions. Also being driven around is actually a great time to have meaningful conversation and relaxation. Driving is stressful; less people (teenagers driving) means less stress in individual lives and society,” said Animas High School Sr. Allee Mckown .

Raising the driving age would solve many of the traffic accidents today, but even for high schoolers who have experienced accidents first hand, raising the age limit seems ridiculous.

For some, being personally involved in an accident opened their eyes to the dangers of driving.

“I was hit by someone that was from out of town, but it wasn’t really my fault. It did make me think about defensive driving more, and that anything can happen. Maybe teenagers should be more aware of other drivers,” said Jr. Duncan Calkin.

Similar to Calkin, others believe that driving is a privilege, and teens who are given the right to drive should act responsibly. Senior Mason Stetler experienced a fender bender a few months ago, but the event didn’t change his opinion about student driving.

“I think 16 is a good age to get that kind of freedom and independence. Obviously there are some people who don’t deserve it, but I think most do,” said Stetler.

Most rights for teenagers begin when they are eighteen. Such as the right to vote, the right to become a legal adult, and more responsibilities that come with age. Many believe that the right to drive should be reserved for eighteen year olds as well.