Winter Sports Hype

Paxton Scott and Max Wilson, News Editor and Reporter

Swimming and Diving:

The swimming and diving team is suiting up for their season which officially starts in November.  Although the high school swim team only practices in the winter, the club swimming seasons goes year round.

“I want to complete my dive card which is six dives in four groups,” said So. Ruby Epstein, who plans to dive competitively for her first time this year.

To dive competitively, it is necessary to complete a dive card which involves completing a variety of different dives.

The swimming and diving team will be traveling to compete at districts in February with aspirations for a large portion of the team to travel to state. The team also has one planned home meet, which will be held at Fort Lewis.

Wrestling:

Throughout the winter, the boys wrestling team works on perfecting their technique and winning tournaments in preparation for state in February.

“I would like as many people to qualify for state as possible, I really just want the team to be better,” said Jr. Cameron Jacobs, one of the five wrestlers that qualified for the state competition last year. Personally, Jacobs has high aspirations for the state competition this year.

“I’m shooting for at least third at state,” said Jacobs.

The wrestling season starts in November giving the wrestling team and new coach, Leo Garand, just over three months to prepare for the regional and state competition.

Lend your support to the team by coming to cheer the wrestlers on at one of their home meets during the winter.

Basketball:

Both boys and girls basketball are coming up this winter. Each team is looking to improve from their past season. They have been working very hard through off season and are ready to take on the upcoming season.

Boys basketball starts November 12 and they have their first home game December 15th against Farmington.

“I guess our main goals for this year are to win the regional tournament again and get further in state than previous years and just have an overall good season. I think that this year we will have more continuity as a team and be more of family with less individual struggles at the end of the day,” said assistant boys basketball coach Dalon Parker.

Girls basketball is also an upcoming winter sport. They too are looking to improve from their previous season  with their first scheduled game on Friday, December 11 against Widefield in a neutral tournament game away from home.

“I don’t think that we will have any drama on the team this year because we are all one big family and I think that we will be able to win the regional tournament again and advance further in state than we ever have,” said Sr. Danica Dudley.

Skiing:

Although skiing is not a school sport, many students in DHS take it more seriously than any school sport and put countless hours of work and effort into it. There are many different types of skiing including alpine, nordic, freestyle, powder, Park and Pipe and various other forms that students dream of as they get hyped for the upcoming season. Some students like So. Sarah Kain take skiing very seriously as they go to competitions against others from all around the country.

“I’d say my main goals for this year are to get some cool new flips and to make it Nationals in Copper with my sister,” said Kain.

Many students have created goals for upcoming sports and eagerly await for the time to achieve these goals as the student body gets ready for winter sports to come.