Demons Catch Fire Heading into Playoffs

Maggie Maloney, Reporter

The Durango High School football team has been working very hard since June and they are finally seeing that hard work pay off. The Demons finished the regular season with a record of 9-1. Their record earned them a bid for playoffs and with that the fifth seed.

Settling into his third season as head coach David Vogt said, “This is our best season yet, and have an 9-1 winning streak with only one loss, although we hope to keep the season on a good pace.”

Most of their games this season have been blowout wins, but one of their lone close games came against league rival Montrose. “Our most successful win of the season was against Montrose, with a win of 36-35 a very close game,” says So. Gavin Mestas. The game ended on a field goal from Sr. Nick Jernigan as time expired

Coach Vogt instructed players to not talk about future games as he has been stressing the mindset of one game at a time. “We are not allowed to give out any information about the season or our hopes for the future of the season, because we don’t want to jinx anything” said So. Max Hyson.

The Demons lone loss came against two time defending 4A state champion Pine Creek. The game left bad blood in the mouth of the Demons and they are hoping to face them again in playoffs. “The team we are hoping to win against, and are our biggest competition, is Pine Creek,” said Vogt. The game ended in a 41-3 loss but the Demons learned a lot from the game.

This year was almost a perfect season, and many athletes and coaches are sad about the season coming to an end. “This is the best season yet, and we’re sad it’s coming to an end,” said Vogt. For many players, including the seniors, they hope to end the season on a good note.

Players have a very busy week of practice leading up to games. “Before games we prepare with several techniques starting from lifting in the weight room, we lift three out of the five days of the week, which also really sets the tempo which transfers over to practice, we also watch five to ten hours of film to see what type of offense they run and what type of defense they like to play as well,” said Sr. Vicente Jimenez

One factor that has helped the team succeed is the bond between teammates.“Being around my brothers is my favorite part about the season, each one of them are great kids and it’s just great to be surrounded by them and the team bond that we share,” said Jimenez.

The season finished on a good note with a dominating 48-6 win against Rampart. The following Sunday they were awarded the fifth seed for the state tournament and a home game for the first round. Their first round playoff game is set to be November 14, against Aurora Central.