College Students Advice to High Schoolers

Brianna Brown, Reporter

Many high school students go through their experience wondering if what they are doing will be enough to get them through college.

Questions high school students want to know:

“What should I know going through my highschool experience to better prepare me for college?” said So. Lana Razma.

“Is it worth it to take AP’s in high school even though some colleges don’t accept the AP credit?” said Jr. Sophie Brown.

“Is it worth it to play a sport in college? How are college sports different than high school sports?”said Fr. Lily Chick.

College students responses…

“In high school practice managing your time, know your deadlines, and get your stuff done before the deadlines. If you procrastinate things never go your way. Start looking now at what you want to do, in college you can no longer just slide your way through things,” said DHS alum, Katie Wiegert, who now attends GCU.

“It’s not worth taking AP classes because unless you can score a 4 or 5 on the AP test most likely your credits wont transfer. Then you end up taking the same AP classes anyway for general education credits. Although if you do take AP classes then when you have to take it again it will not be new material,” said DHS alum Emily Fogel, who now attends GCU.

“It’s a lot different than high school sports because everyone who is playing is good and has the potential to play rather than in high school you just got the spot if there was nobody else, you really have to work. Also, it’s a much bigger time commitment in college but yes it’s definitely worth playing,” said DHS alum Jordan McKnight, who now attends Western Colorado University.

College students advice to high schoolers…

“Put yourself in as many awkward situations as possible, it’s the best way to make new friends and grow as a person. Go out and be adventurous do not stay in a box, you are only in high school once do not ruin your high school experience,” said DHS alum Nick Betts,  who now attends Western Colorado University.

“Be prepared to get organized with your life and be ready to make that change fast. Don’t depend on anyone but yourself to get there, because no one can do it for you, it is not high school anymore. College is way more difficult than getting through high school was so learn it now youngins,” said Wiegert.

“Put yourself out there as much as possible. Join new clubs, go to events and get involved. Also live in the dorm at college with a random roommate, it gives you a chance to expand,” said University of Arizona student Alexis Moore.

“I wish I knew that you’re supposed to be in class before it starts because the second it starts some professor’s lock their door, being late is not an option. Your syllabus and school email are your best friend,” said DHS alum Mariah Tucson, who now attends the University of Oklahoma.