Planned Parenthood: Controversy for selling fetal tissue

Jaden Rioux, Reporter

In the last few months Planned Parenthood has experienced an alarming amount of controversy. Anti-abortion protestors have reported to have video of Planned Parenthood workers selling fetal tissue for experimental science. This has resulted in a snowball effect leading to headlines that read “Planned Parenthood sells baby parts” or “Planned Parenthood sells aborted babies to the black market” which of course, are not true in the slightest.

Planned Parenthood offers an abundance of health services to women all across the country and only three percent of those are abortion related. Many young women who can’t afford birth control and other forms of sexual health care go to Planned Parenthood, including community member Jenni Savoini.

“When I was younger and didn’t have a lot of money, they [Planned Parenthood] helped me out a lot, I don’t know what I would have done if I couldn’t go to them,”said Savoini.

The call to action on this controversial issue is to defund Planned Parenthood and while this may seem like a good idea to anti-abortion activists, they fail to look at the bigger picture. The official Planned Parenthood website reports that one in five women have visited Planned Parenthood at least once in her life and 2.7 million men and women visit each year.

“I think defunding Planned Parenthood would be disastrous. Abortions would continue whether or not they are funded, but Planned Parenthood is essential for sexually active women’s healthcare, ” said Georgia Luella High School Sr. Sarah Carson, who happens to have seen both sides to the story.

“I have been dragged to rallies protesting Planned Parenthood and I found them completely ridiculous,” said Carson.

Those coming from a religious perspective, are not so quick to defend Planned Parenthood. In fact, a lot of people dislike Planned Parenthood and what they support. Christians who are against abortion find that the organization’s support of abortions is morally wrong. In an interview with Catholic church member Jill Alexander, who grew up Baptist, she expressed that she was conflicted with the matter.

“I’d hate to see Planned Parenthood defunded because they do so many good things but I personally do not believe in the abortions they fund,” said Alexander.

The problem Planned Parenthood is facing is that while the donation of fetal tissue is legal (with the consent of the woman) selling the aborted tissue is illegal. The donation is only allowed to be discussed with the woman after she has decided to have an abortion and having an abortion specifically for fetal tissue is not allowed.

There’s a vast amount of varying opinions on both Planned Parenthood and abortion, for some it’s a matter of religious belief and for others it’s just simple human rights. There are a lot of different ways to view the concept but knowing information about the subject is also vital. Planned Parenthood is not selling unborn children to the black market, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they are guilt free.

Sidebar: Planned Parenthood operates around 700 health centers throughout the United States, including one in Durango, that provide services to women, men, and teens.