Theatre: More of a Lifestyle Than a Hobby

Cristina Jantz, Reporter

Late nights. Building sets. Learning lines. Getting sick. Pushing through it anyway. It all comes with the territory of being part of the theatre troupe at DHS. Despite what some might call hardships, Troupe 1096 thespians know that it is always worth it.

“My life has changed immensely through theatre. What brought the most change was the sense of community, especially the association with the upperclassmen. I got a lot closer to everyone in theatre and definitely have gotten to know a lot more about myself and others through it,” said So. Curtis Salinger.

Troupe 1096 has always been revered in Durango, but it has become even more so in the past year with their production of Les Misérables. It was nominated for 10 Bobby G Awards (the Colorado high school equivalent of the Tony Awards) and won the three most significant Bobby G Awards: Best Lead Actor, Best Lead Actress, and Best Overall Musical.

Not all aspects of theatre are glamorous and fun, but those moments behind the scenes are worth the effort and hard work.

Senior Natalie Cohn said, “I seam-ripped for close to an hour and a half and should have been bored out of my mind, but I completely loved everything about costumes, including that.”

Junior Ataley Villaseñor has been involved with Troupe 1096 since her freshman year and has loved every second of it.

“I actually didn’t do one show one of my years. This was almost mainly because I wanted to see if theatre was as charismatic and electric as I thought it was. I remember that night like it was just yesterday. I ran out and hugged everyone and they said they missed me. For the first time in a long time, I was something to people,” said Villaseñor.

The theatre community is a close-knit one between actors, techies and audience members alike. 2015 DHS graduate Liam Hahn said that the best part of theatre was the community.

“Some of my best friends are theatre kids and they are some of the best people anyone will ever meet,” said Hahn.

Theatre is an art that has inspired and transformed so many people that have walked through the doors on opening night to watch or participate in one of DHS’s productions, and it will surely continue to do so.

“Theatre has given me a home. It has made me who I am. Instead of running away from who I am or being scared of what people will think, I embrace it. It gave me a voice–my own voice that I didn’t know I had. It’s a place where, in a moment, you feel complete love without asking,” said Villaseñor.