The Art of Kindness Sweeps DHS

Ataley Villasenor, Reporter

Over the years the paintings that cover the DHS wall have been done by dozens of students and with each painting a piece them was left behind. The paintings on the walls are a reflection of the art and souls of the passion that resides within DHS students.

Now what if art was more than a canvas or a photograph or a mere stroke of a paint brush. What if humans themselves could be art by the kindness they show? Kindness can show someone’s true beauty and emotionally power the people surrounding them.

“I think a really good example of true kindness was Mrs. Winchester one time, I really wasn’t feeling theatre, I really wasn’t feeling anything and everything was crappy and I voiced my opinion… and the true kindness Mr. Winchester showed was she reminded me there was something in me worth keeping,” said Sr. Nico Schiavone.

But it wasn’t his response that made him art, it was the way he thought about kindness. Schiavone is more upfront and about facts; he sees kindness in a typical dictionary definition, which makes his art type something like Vincent Van Gogh’s “The Starry Night”; upfront one understand what the painting is trying to say but if one looks harder there’s more than what meets the eye.

“There were people that would look me right in the eye and I could literally feel like the pain inside come up and go through my eyes and the moment that it went into their eyes I could see it and I could see their eye shift and  I could see them swell up and they took some of my pain away,” said theatre teacher Ben Mattson.

Kindness, on the other hand, to Mattson isn’t something that can be physically done. It’s in-depth and one must see past a person’s flaws. It may not be easy at first and one may need to look within oneself to truly understand. Similar to the popular paintings that had secret messages hidden within are Mattson’s views on the world and kindness working in harmony.

“She gave me the upmost respect and made me feel a lot better about the whole situation it and it just showed how much peace she had in her heart for me and how much love she was willing to give me,” said Jr. Tori Byam, referring to her mother.

Even though Byam could go through hard times, she could always count on her mother to see the good out of it. Love is not black and white with Byam like that of “The Scream” by Edvard Munch. One may not know what hurts Byam or know what she’s looking at sometimes, but after the scare she knows that the sunlight is still in front of her.