Predicting the Youth’s Vote

Alden Spitzer, Reporter

In the coming 2016 Presidential Elections, Durango High School Students will be given the opportunity to influence the direction of politics in the United States of America. Many

Senior Dillon Flowers and others were asked if it was their intention to vote. Dillon, in addition to many, responded with a simple “yes”. A response echoed by many other students.

When inquired if he believes that it is important for students to vote when eligible, Flowers responded diligently with “I do”.

Neither Flowers nor senior Christina Jantz were quite ready to choose sides when it came to candidates, but Sophomore Mary Fenberg and Junior Christoph Cikraji were quick to have opinions.

“As of now, I would personally vote for Bernie Sanders,” said Jr. Christoph Cikraji.

Both interviewees continued to elaborate their views on voting and the upcoming presidential candidates.

“The middle class makes up most of America’s population, and a president of the United states should not favor the wealthy, but instead, favor the largest demographic in the United states. I also agree that the wealthy should have some representation in the united states, as they control much of the United states economy,” said Cirkraji.

Underclassmen also had opinions to state on future voting and the upcoming election.

“I would vote for Bernie Sanders, because I support his beliefs,” said So. Zoë VianaFurer.

Yet opinions were torn, and others spoke in contrast.

“I would probably vote for Lindsey Graham because he wants to do the best he can to keep us out of war,” said So. Mary Fenberg.  Not only were both Cikraji and Fenberg quick to have an opinion, but their stances were well thought out.

“I don’t think Ivanka would do that [pose for Playboy], although she does have a very nice figure. I’ve said if Ivanka weren’t my daughter, perhaps I’d be dating her,’” said Fenberg, citing Donald Trump.

She used this quote to defend the assertion that Mr. Trump has a poor mindset for a president.

“It could go either way,” saidSr. Christina Jantz.

Some were equally unsure of exactly how high school students might vote.

“I think some of them could be fairly consistent,” said Sr. Dillon Flowers.

Jantz’s opinion were similar to others, unsure of the potential outcome.

“There will probably be a few people who decide not to [vote] just because they can,” said Jantz.

Although there are many uncertainties regarding student voting, one fact holds true, much of the student population in America falls short of voting. While this may be a result of adolescent uncertainty, without the youth’s vote, the outcome of our nation’s leader can drastically differ.