Understanding Feminism is Understanding Equality

Emma Buchanan, Reporter

Recently, it seems there has been more and more emphasis put on feminism. Celebrities, like Beyoncé and Amy Poelher, appear to be spearheading the cause, but what is it, and how is it affecting high school girls today?

Feminism, by definition, is the economic, social and political equalization of genders. In high school, feministic issues shape themselves mainly in self-confidence, or the lack thereof.

“I think high school girls struggle with the balance of self-respect and being an attractive woman at the same time,” said Sr. Kameron Ryan.

One of Ryan’s inspirations for maintaining self-respect is The Hunger Games actress Jennifer Lawrence. Lawrence has never been one to give in to the judgment of the public. She eats what she wants, is completely comfortable in her skin and has refused to change herself in any way, shape or form.

DHS has been providing people with an anonymous new way to give a peer or peers compliments through their Facebook page “New DHS Compliments.” Lately, this Facebook page has been trying to promote students to look at inner beauty rather than physical, thus, encouraging students to have self-confidence.

Although it is done in total innocence and provides an opportunity to compliment someone without fear, is it really helping with self-confidence?

“I’m sure the intentions behind it are one hundred percent good, but there is probably a girl or two who may feel sad or unappreciated simply because they’ve never received a compliment. Most complimented people are probably flattered, but in my opinion an un-anonymous compliment is worth much more,” said Jr. Caroline Parker.

But women are not the only ones dealing with problems like this.

In September, Harry Potter actress Emma Watson made a speech to the UN addressing feminism.

“If men don’t have to control, women won’t have to be controlled. Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive. Both men and women should feel free to be strong,” said Watson.

Watson made it clear in her speech that feminism is not about man hating; in fact feminism is meant to level the playing ground for both genders. As the feministic movement becomes better known, men are beginning to jump on the band wagon.

“Women have suffered through more problems in the past, but both men and women should work toward gender equality,” said Jr. Mason Stetler.

Unfortunately, inequality weighs heavily to the women’s side, so the men are never heard.

“With women’s rights problems comes just as many for men, and feminists believe we can help those problems by demanding equality,” said student of an all-girl college, and DHS alum, Emma Costello.

Sometimes high school students don’t realize how much power they have to change their future. But things will only change when people start taking action.

“If the genders are going to become equal, it requires the cooperation and participation of both genders,” said Fr. Jenna Szczech.