Moving up in School Technology Resources

A+busy+Mac+monitor+

A busy Mac monitor

The high school provides a home to old computers, new computers, Mac computers, and every computer in between. Yet, most of the computers in the school are so old that students find working in labs difficult and unproductive.
“We get so little time to work on computers, so when we do get to work on the computers during class, it’s hard to get anything done due to the speed,” said Fr. Jack Eggleston.
Recent PARCC testing requires students to remain in computer labs for hours at a time. Many students complain about the flashing screens and the unpredictability of the computers.
“I had a really hard time focusing on my tests. After a couple of hours of looking at the screens, they started to give me really bad headaches,” said So. Lane Arnwine.
However, not all of the school’s computers are outdated and unreliable. There are several classes that have updated to Mac computers in the last couple of years.
“Mac’s have bigger screens and the majority of professional graphic designers and ad design teams use Mac’s, so it helps kids prepare for the future,” said Sr. Madison Hoven.
Most colleges require students to have a laptop when they come to school. Many of the computers incoming freshman use are Mac computers.
“At Middlebury, 99% of every student on campus has a Mac. I think that it’s really important that students get accustomed to Mac computers before coming to college,” said DHS alumni Jocelyn Zemach, a current student at Middlebury.