Challenging Small Town Stereotypes: Minority Rules

Trevor Katomski, Reporter

In Durango High School, there isn’t much of a variety among students when looking at both ethnicity and religion. Throughout the town of Durango, the variety expands a little, but it is still scarce and always has been.

Fr. Jayden Brown a young African American male here at DHS said, “People here don’t see me for the color of my skin they see me for the person I am. My race really doesn’t mean anything to them.”

Even though there isn’t much diversity, students still welcome each other with open arms all throughout the school.

Junior Austin Thrailkill has experienced what a lot of students here at Durango High School have not, being the minority.

Albuquerque is a lot different than it is here. Students here openly welcome one another, while there it was the exact opposite. People had to stay with their race and couldn’t really talk to others,” said Thrailkill.

Some towns have more diversity however when it comes to racial differences though. Spanish teacher Maria Gonzales said, “It was pretty well balanced between whites and hispanics in Santa Fe, New Mexico.”

Obviously, big cities and small towns will be different in how they accept people, but one thing remains the same: no matter where you go, there is always a minority.

A religious minority also exist here in Durango. Religious groups exist not only in Durango, but here at DHS as well.

Christianity is a popular religion among the people of Durango. A few people, however, do choose to stand out and believe in their own ideas rather than join the set or normal beliefs.

“I sometimes feel like an outcast when people find out I’m an Atheist. It’s not normal not to believe in a God here,” said So. Pandora Tucker.

Tucker wasn’t the only one to feel the oppressive touch of religion here in Durango, Thrailkill has as well. “As soon as people found out that I am atheist, they started looking at me differently. It hasn’t changed my beliefs though,” Thrailkill said.

Both Thrailkill and Tucker choose to stick with their beliefs throughout everything like the looks, stares and comments.

No matter where you go, how small or big of a city a person is in a minority will always exist. People who stand out from others.

Minority comes in all shapes, sizes, religions and sexualities as well. Most people now days accept gay marriage, or at least tolerate it. There are still people out there who don’t accept gay marriage. Homosexuality is the smallest minority here in Durango, it’s hardly ever seen.

Jeffrey Laskey, a manager at at the McDonald’s here in Durango, is a gay man.

“I have felt out of place here, but lately it’s been less and less. Mainly because I just don’t care anymore even though I know it’s still there,” said Laskey.