The Waiting Game: Theatrical Auditions

Senior Rebekah Hwang performing her Individual Event at the Colorado Thespian Festival

Liam Hahn, Assistant Web Editor

Heart racing, blood pressure at an all time high and loud vocalizations that turn heads: either a tragedy is occurring, or theatre kids are preparing for their next audition.

Every year, one of the biggest events in the life of a theatre kid is audition day. Whether it is for the musical, the main-stage straight show, the gala or the upperclassmen show, students are tirelessly working to perfect their auditions.

“It’s definitely nerve-wracking. You’re about to present something you’ve worked on for so long and have put so much effort into,” said So. Eddy Liaboh.

On audition day, students perform for the director to the best of their ability in hopes of receiving their favored part in the show.

Auditions can consist of anything from a monologue, to a cut from a song, to multiple cuts, to any combination of the three. It all depends on the show. Straight shows, non-musicals, generally only require a monologue, while most musicals require a monologue and a cut from a song.

“It’s super nerve-racking because I don’t know what the directors thought of my audition,” said Fr. Brooke Buccowich.

But auditions aren’t the only possible worries at this time. For students straying from the on-stage part of theatre, tech interviews are their audition.

For the backstage side of theatre, students are required to have an interview with the technical director. These interviews include pieces such as past experience, potential wants and super secret questions that could ultimately decide the aspiring student future in the show. The interview process is as fun as, if not more than, an audition.

“Tech interviews are extremely simple, easy going and do not feel intense,” said So. Nathan Brinkley.

After the initial audition phase, students are then chosen to return for read-throughs, or sing-throughs, of certain characters in the show if the director liked their audition. These are called call-backs and are a stressful part of the audition process.

“With call backs you just want to take chances and really show that you are different,” said DHS Alumni Rosie Schultz.

After the audition process has ended, students spend the next night waiting in agony for the next day when the cast list will be posted.

“I usually can’t sleep very well, but I also feel very relieved because I know that the worst part is over, and it is what it is,” said Sr. Rebekah Hwang.

The cast list is posted and students will find out what part they got in the show, or how they will be helping out back stage, all while waiting for the next audition day to come.