Mayors Youth Advisory Council Expo

Ilima Umbhau , Centerspread

The annual Mayor’s Youth Advisory Commission’s Youth Expo is back for the third year in a row. In past years, the Expo successfully provided high school students with opportunities within the community and helpful tips in preparation for the future.

“I really enjoyed not only participating on MYAC last year, but putting together the Expo too. We had a pretty substantial turnout, and I feel like the kids who came really benefitted from what we put together,” said Sr. Abi Moore.

The Expo itself proves a useful tool due to the participation from vendors in and around Durango, who aspire to engage and promote the success of Durango’s youth. Large amounts of effort are poured into the Expo in high hopes that it will be as successful as it has been in the past.

“I think the Youth Expo is an awesome way to find out what’s going on in the community. I would definitely encourage young people to stay involved,” said Animas High School Sr. Chase Pierson.

This year, the Youth Expo will be held on April 6th at the Rec Center from 3:30 to 5:30 pm, and will focus on youth engagement in the community, possible job endeavors for young adults, and tips on preparing for the future. Students interested in applying for next year’s board will have the opportunity to fill out an application at the Expo, due April 13, 2015.

“I’m really glad I participate on MYAC. I like that we are given a voice within the city government, even though we are still in high school,” said Animas High School Sr. Natalie Youssef.