Escaping Technology

Escaping+Technology

Lilah Slaughter, Reporter

Some students have realized that the modern teens’ reliance on their phones is absurd. They’ve found other ways to spend their time in a fleeting escape from technology.

Sophomore Ryann Daly has found respite in yoga. She puts down her phone to further her awareness of the world outside of the screen. Daly has found only advantages in looking away, including heightened extrospection.

“When I’m on my phone or other technology, I’m in the zone and not really paying attention to anything outside of me, so when I set it down, I feel like I’m open to so many different things,” said Daly.

Animas Junior Aubree Lorenzen looks to running as an escape from not only technology, but also stress in life. When she puts her phone down to go for a run, freedom follows.

“It makes me feel really good. I happen to dislike this generation’s use of technology because it seems to be the only thing that makes them feel connected. I like being connected to living creatures and it feels exhilarating to get away from our stereotype,” said Lorenzen.

Generation Z is often looked upon with disappointment for excessive technology use, but many of them dislike being automatically pegged as someone obsessed with their phone and like to enjoy the outdoors like any other age group.

Sophomore Emily Colsman is also a runner and loves to put down her phone to go outside and explore the trails. She recognized a similar awakened awareness as Daly.

“The more you put down your phones and step away from technology, you see what is really going on around you. You see the beauty in everything that you miss out on when you’re always on your phone,” said Colsman.

Freshman Alex Poulter doesn’t run track or cross country, but agrees with Lorenzen about our generation’s excessive reliance on technology.

“If I put my phone away, I don’t have to be involved in everybody’s lives, and I can just be involved in my own and have fun and be with my family,” said Poulter.

She recognizes that many people sacrifice time with their families and other company to check out of their lives and check in with others.

“I find it amusing (and somewhat disconcerting) that people make excuses to escape whoever they are supposed to be spending time with so that they can check in with other people who may not even be real-life friends,” said Dr. Larry Rosen in “Our Obsessive Relationship With Technology”, an article for the Huffington Post.

Both Rosen and Poulter saw this happening in their lives and with others around them.

Colsman has put down her technology for an extended period of time, and noticed the effects that it has. She went out and explored the world, which left her with no urge to check her phone.

“I’ve found that after I put my phone down for even an hour long run, I won’t pick it up for a few hours. The less I’m on my phone, the less I feel like I need it,” said Colsman .

Rosen also wrote about the magnetic attraction that modern people have towards their phones.

Staying plugged in has its addictive properties, but several students have found ways to escape and enjoy the world outside of the web and suggest that others follow in their footsteps.

“Would you rather live than just survive? Because surviving means just going through each day doing the same thing, and living means making something of yourself. Don’t be afraid to try something new and know [technology] will be here when you come back, but you only get one life,” said Lorenzen.