Boys Basketball: Recovering, Rebounding, Ready For Anything

Lucas Baken taking a shot.

Seth Marvin-Vanderryn, News Editor

The Durango High School boys basketball team has had many ups and downs throughout their long season, with it ending in the first round of state playoffs. With a few newcomers joining the varsity squad, the team had to learn to play together on the go. The first ten games of the season were on the road and they went on to win four games and lose nine.

Their next three games were at home and they won all three by a minimum of fourteen points. The Demons had five games at home this year and finished four and one.

“Our crowd brings a lot of energy that we can feed off,” said Sr. Gabe Gilleland.

One of the big home wins was against Grand Junction. It left many good memories.

“My favorite moment of the season was when we beat Grand Junction by 20 at home and I scored 19,” said Jr. Terrence Trujillo.

After three straight wins at home they then went on to lose five straight games on the road, win one at home and finished the season out with their only home loss going against Montrose.

At the district tournament, they started off with two convincing wins against Rifle and Glenwood Springs. They won each game by eleven and fourteen. In the championship game they were faced against Montrose who they had lost both regular season games to.

Although they played a tight game, they were not able to overcome Montrose in the championship and lost 64-50. However, since they finished second in the district tournament they still earned a bid in the state tournament.

Seeing an improvement in the team as the season went on, Sr. guard Nate Atencio said, “We have worked harder and played more as a team.”

On Feb. 27, DHS faced the number one seed Golden. Golden finished the season 20-3 overall and 14-1 in their league. They were also on a six game winning streak. DHS ended up losing 68-43.

So. Josh Hobson said, “I think we need to be more consistent as a team and work on teamwork kind of stuff because it took too long this year to get that straight,” said So. Josh Hobson.

This change would need to be made if the team would want to compete with teams that have the same caliber as Golden next year.